Links of Interest
From CS1635 Spring 2017
- Five Ways to Wire Up an Event Listener, By Daniel Fowler, from Chapter 1 of Android Cookbook, OReilly Press.
- Start a Second Screen from the First, By Daniel Fowler, from Chapter 6 of Android Cookbook, OReilly Press.
- Case Study: Apple, Design and Business, By Bill Buxton, from Chapter 2 of Sketching User Experiences, Morgan Kaufmann.
- Android Design, Official UI Design Guidelines and Patterns for Android. (NEW!)
- Twitter for Android: A closer look at Android’s evolving UI patterns
- Apple: Their Tablet Computer History Ryan Vetter
- Android UI Design Guidelines
- Near Realtime Android Version Distribution
- Android Programming Tutorials
- Cyril Mottier's Blog on Android Programming
- Android UI Mock-up Tool
- Andriod Asset Studio
- Sample Code from Android SDK
- ShowcaseView, providing spotlight style help for an android app.
- AWizard Library for creating Wizards (multi-step dialog boxes for complex tasks)
- Picasso, image download and caching library.
- HoloEveryhwhere, backporting the Holo Theme on Android 4.0 ICS or higher to Android 2.x.
- NinOldAndroids, backporting the Android 3.0+ animation API to Android 2.x.
- Source code of WordPress Mobile App for Android (this is a very good example on how to create a non-trivial mobile application with a set of commonly used functions, e.g. log in, splash screen, profile management, web services)
- Source code of Google Sky Map (this is another very good example of a non-trivial mobile application. The source code of the Google Sky mobile client for Android)
- Android Ignition Kick-starts Android application development (supplemental UI components, HTTP Wrapper, image loader, caching framwork)
- Google RoboGuice, RoboGuice smoothes out some of the wrinkles in your Android development experience and makes things simple and fun.
- Android-Query Library, AQuery is a light-weight library for doing asynchronous tasks (UI, network connection, version update etc)
- Green Droid, A Good Open Source UI Widget Library for Android
- Google Guava Library, Some core Java libraries from Google (e.g. collections, caching, primitives support, concurrency libraries, common annotations, string processing, I/O, etc)
- Google Cloud Messaging for Android, Google Cloud Messaging for Android is a service that helps developers send data from servers to their applications on Android devices.
- androlog Framework, androlog is a customizable Log replacement for Android.
- SLF4J Android another Android Logging Framework
- Cocoa Controls: Open Source UI Control Widgets on iOS Platform
- ACRA: Application Crash Reporting for Android
- ZXing - Multi-Format 1D/2D Barcode Image Processing Library for Android
- Open Game Art
- Android cheatsheet for graphic designers
- Official Android Resources (icons and color themes) for Download
- Most recent official recommendations on application structure
Third Party APIs
- Facebook for Android SDK
- Amazon Web Service (AWS) for Android SDK
- Flurry: Mobile Application Analytics
- Airbrake Notifer for Android
Galleries of Design Patterns
- Android UI Design Patterns
- Android App Patterns
- Inspirational Android UI Designs
- Offical Guidelines on Android Application Structure
- Lovely UI
- Pttrns: iOS Design Patterns Maintained by Robin Raszka
- Mobile UI Patterns
- Android Patterns
- TappGala: Mobile Design Patterns
- Inspired UI: Some Mobile UI Design Examples
- app.itize.us : Examples of Good Android and iOS designs
- Beautiful Pixels: Examples of Good UI Designs
- Beautiful iPhone and iPad Applications
- Creattica: Mobile Design Examples
- Mobile Design Examples and Resources
- TapFancy: Inspirational Designs on iOS Platform
- Mobile Design Pattern Gallery
- UI Design Patterns Web Site
- CamStudio - Open Source Screen Capture Software for Windows
- iShowU HD - Screen Capture Software for Mac
- Screencast-O-Matic Browser based Screencast Video Recording (requires Java browser plugin)
- Android Screen Shot and Screen Capture from Read Devices
- Samsung USB Driver for Windows 1.4.103(for debugging and testing purposes)